Today is the official release of The Recovery Book! Coauthors Al J. Mooney, MD, Catherine Dold and Howard Eisenberg all hope that it helps many people find a lifetime of sobriety and peace.
From Workman Publishing:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Noreen Herits, (212) 614-7775 / firstname.lastname@example.org “
A classic. Read it. Use it. It can help guide you step by step into the bright light of the world of recovery.” —from the Foreword by Harry Haroutunian, M.D., Physician Director, Betty Ford Center
Hope, support, and a clear road map for the more than 23 million Americans with substance addiction
THE RECOVERY BOOK Answers to All Your Questions about Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety By Al J. Mooney, M.D., Catherine Dold, and Howard Eisenberg
“Many people are now finally recognizing that addiction to alcohol and other drugs is a terrible disease. Heroin and prescription painkillers are destroying many families. More people now die of overdoses than in traffic accidents. Overcoming this epidemic requires decisive solutions. THE RECOVERY BOOK offers a clear path to a lifetime of sobriety, as well as advice for rebuilding a life so it has meaning and purpose.”
—Al J. Mooney, M.D.
Long considered the bible of addiction recovery, THE RECOVERY BOOK (Workman Publishing / September 9, 2014 / $17.95) by Al J. Mooney, M.D., and health journalists Catherine Dold and Howard Eisenberg, provides hope, support, and real advice to the more than 23 million Americans who suffer from addiction to drugs and alcohol. Publishing for the 25th anniversary of National Recovery Month, THE RECOVERY BOOK is completely revised and updated to feature all the latest in addiction science and recovery techniques, to include Dr. Mooney’s new Recovery Zone System, and address the increase in abuse of prescription drugs and heroin.
Written in a question-and-answer format that breaks down the daunting process, THE RECOVERY BOOK delivers a direct, clear, and attainable road map to every step in the process, from the momentous decision to quit to the emotional, physical, and spiritual issues that arise during recovery. Its comprehensive and effective advice speaks to addicts, their loved ones, and addiction professionals who need a proven, trusted resource and a supportive voice.
Questions range from “Are you an alcoholic or an addict?” to “What is withdrawal?” to “What do I tell everyone?” to “How much should we help our child?”
Readers will also benefit from the revolutionary Recovery Zone System, which divides the recovery process into three distinct zones.
The Recovery Zone System
- The Red Zone STOP. Activate your recovery and save your life. Focus entirely on survival and your recovery.
- The Yellow Zone Proceed with caution. Rebuild your life. Maintain the foundation of sobriety and strong recovery.
- The Green Zone Go. Celebrate your life. Live a long and sober life and help others find recovery.
In 26 chapters and over 600 pages, THE RECOVERY BOOK tackles issues such as:
- Committing to Recovery: Identifying and accepting the problem is the first step toward recovery (with next steps).
- AA and other 12-Step Fellowships: Extensive information on mutual-support groups to aid in the process of selection.
- Physical and Mental Health: Tips for getting healthy, which include avoiding toxins and keeping blood sugar balanced.
- Raising Substance-Free Kids: How to “addiction-proof” your child and tips for being an effective parent.
- Addiction Science and Neuroplasticity: Discover how alcohol and drugs actually alter pathways in the brain. This same process when trained on recovery can remold the brain, making sobriety a routine way of life.
- Relapse Prevention: The Recovery Zone ReCheck, a simple new technique to anticipate and avoid relapses.
- The Epidemic of Prescription Drugs: Now a bigger problem than illegal drugs.
- Family and Friends: How you can help a loved one with addiction, and how you can help yourself.
- Pain Control: How to deal with pain (and other medical issues) when you are in recovery.
- Rebuilding Your Life: How to handle relationships, work, education, and finances in recovery.
Dr. Al Mooney has been helping alcoholics and addicts get their lives back for more than thirty years, using both his professional and personal experiences at his family’s treatment center, Willingway, and most recently through his work as medical director for The Healing Place of Wake County (NC), a homeless shelter that features a peer-driven residential recovery program.
THE RECOVERY BOOK will help millions gain control of their mind, their body, their life, and their happiness.
# # #
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Al J. Mooney, M.D., currently the Director of Addiction Medicine and Recovery at Willingway, lectures internationally on the latest science and treatments for recovery.
Catherine Dold has covered health and environmental issues for The New York Times, Smithsonian, Discover, Self, and many other national publications.
Howard Eisenberg is a medical journalist and coauthor of How to Be Your Own Doctor (Sometimes).
ABOUT THE BOOK
THE RECOVERY BOOK Answers to All Your Questions About Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety by Al J. Mooney, M.D., Catherine Dold, and Howard Eisenberg Workman Publishing * September 2014 * ISBN: 978-0-7611-7611-4 * $17.95
For more information or to schedule an interview with Al J. Mooney, M.D., please contact Noreen Herits / Executive Publicist / email@example.com / (212) 614-7775
Learn more about Willingway.