“A classic. Read it. Use it. It can help guide you step by step into the bright light of the world of recovery.”
— from the Foreword by Harry Haroutunian, M.D., Physician Director, Betty Ford Center
“The Recovery Book is the Bible of recovery. Everything you need to know you will find in here.”
— Neil Scott, host, Recovery Coast to Coast radioThe second edition of The Recovery Book is now available! (See Buy The Book for links to retailers.) The Recovery Book was first published in 1992. Since then, it has sold more than 350,000 copies, and has become a standard in the world of addiction and recovery, providing no-nonsense answers to questions about recovery. Dr. Harry Haroutunian, physician director of the Betty Ford Center, calls it a "recovery classic." Others call it "the Bible of recovery."
>>> Read the first three chapters of The Recovery Book for FREE at Amazon. <<<<The Recovery Book provides a direct and easy-to-follow road map to every step in the recovery process, from the momentous decision to quit to the emotional, physical, and spiritual issues that arise along the way. Its comprehensive and effective advice speaks to people with addiction, their loved ones, and addiction professionals who need a proven, trusted resource and a supportive voice. The new edition of The Recovery Book features the revolutionary Recovery Zone System, which divides a life in recovery into three chronological zones and provides guidance on exactly what to do in each zone:
- The Red Zone STOP. Activate your recovery and save your life. Focus entirely on survival and your recovery.
- The Yellow Zone Proceed with caution. Rebuild your life. Maintain the foundation of sobriety and strong recovery.
- The Green Zone Go. Celebrate your life. Live a long and sober life and help others find recovery.
- Committing to Recovery: Identifying and accepting the problem; deciding to get sober.
- Treatment Options: Extensive information on all current options, and how to choose a program.
- AA and other 12-Step Fellowships: How to get involved in a mutual-support group and what it can do for you.
- Addiction Science and Neuroplasticity: How alcohol and drugs alter pathways in the brain, and how to use the same processes to remold the brain around recovery.
- Relapse Prevention: The Recovery Zone ReCheck, a simple new technique to anticipate and avoid relapses.
- Rebuilding Your Life: How to handle relationships, socializing, work, education, and finances.
- Physical and Mental Health: Tips for getting healthy; how to handle common ailments.
- Pain Control: How to deal with pain in recovery; how to avoid a relapse if you need pain control for surgery or emergency care.
- Family and Friends: How you can help a loved one with addiction, and how you can help yourself.
- Raising Substance-Free Kids: How to “addiction-proof” your child.
- The Epidemic of Prescription Drugs: Now a bigger problem than illegal drugs.